Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Obtrude Schadenfreude Eschewed

Here I go with the use of complicated words that no one understands. Even when I look at it I get the feeling I'm using a language that isn't English. I find that little quirk about myself to be rather amusing.

I suppose all I was saying in the Blog Title is, "Unwelcomed Pleasure of Someone's Misfortune Intentionally Avoided". It's just that saying it like that isn't as much fun and it doesn't convey the same point.. What I was trying to convey is that the boastful attention of someone's misfortune, and the pleasure of it, should be avoided.
In all seriousness to my point, there really isn't much effort from most people to maintain compassion, mercy, and forgiveness. For the most part there is a stronger adherence to bitterness, wrath, and gossip. It starts to become a guilty pleasure at the expense of someone's misfortune. Sometimes it is a complete stranger, but often times it is someone who we have a grudge against.

To no avail people must fight the instinctual nature to project an attitude of, "You got what you deserve".
Sometimes the bigger question is.. "Why the hell should I care?"
Ok.. In some ways I really don't want to argue the emotional appeal to such behavior, it's just that it doesn't do anyone good to act like it doesn't matter. Hate breeds negativity and negativity is like a infected wound; nothing heals and the pain only becomes worse. One way or another, you end up spreading the infection and now everyone is perpetuating the pain as if it were even a big deal to begin with.

It is disturbing enough when you come across someone who has a pure and unmotivated sense of pleasure in the misfortune of other people. I don't know if that would fall into the Psychological disorder of Psychopathy, but I think those kind of people are rare enough that it isn't worth focusing my point around. The people that exist more regularly are people who are motivated by some factors to revel in someone else's misfortune while crying about their own.
I don't care how minor the misfortune is, such as losing a phone or failing to humor a friend. The act itself starts small and grows based on the individual's response to their behavior. The fact of the matter is that the concern for people becomes numbed over time. Even worse are people who put conditions for how or even if they will be concerned for others. Those who are in a position of leadership should be especially careful about how they respond to the misfortune of an enemy. There's no guarantee that the people you are leading become offended by your response, especially if they see it as a sign of weakness or a contradiction to what principles you lead by.
A good example of people who I see do this the most...? Religious people. I don't know if these people are just especially prone to the idea that people get what they deserve, but I have noticed an uncanny disconnection to sincere and unconditional compassion. Call me crazy... I just find it ironic that most of these people stand for peace, love, and joy... Yet they mock a person when they are that their most vulnerable.

I wont say I am not guilty of the same thing.. In fact, it is my guilty nature that compels me to refrain. I know how easy it is to feel a justification for my mockery, but there is also something about it that is unsatisfying. My intuition is enough to tell me that the detriment to mocking someone while they suffer is linked to my own perception of the people who do it to me; or rather the emotions I go through..
Revenge somehow goes high up on the list of priorities when I perceive mockery; when it is during times of vulnerability I think there should be a stronger word to describe the anger fueled vindictive bitterness that overcomes me.
All the more reason to be transformed in my way of thinking instead of just attacking the problem at the surface. This is also the reason why I advocate to others to do the same.

Endure the mockery, but don't be the mocker.